Yokomen Uchi Sankyo
How to do Yokomen Sankyo from Suwari Waza
Yokomen means cut to the side of the head. Sankyo means the third lesson of the pinning or control techniques.
This sankyo is a suwariwaza or sitting technique. It is an omote or a technique with a front entry. Sankyo is part of the Osae (control techniques) series which has mainly five techniques.
The points to remember when doing this sankyo:
- Keep your balance
- Make sure that you do shiko (knee walking) in a natural and efficient way.
- Pin uke’s shoulder with your shoulder
- Omote Atemi. Uppercut to the chin.
- Keep the wrist and hand in line with the forearm.
- Twist the wrist using your body. Don’t bend the wrist.
- Keep uke’s hand as much in contact to your chest as possible
- Keep your index knuckle in between his middle fingers (index, middle, and ring)
This technique is one the fundamental techniques in Iwama Aikido. Yokomen Uchi Sankyo Omote Suwariwaza is in the grading syllabus from fourth (4th) Kyu up to Nidan (2nd Degree Black belt level)
How to do Osae (pinning or control) waza (techniques)? Read more here
How to do Nikyo that leads to a Kotegaeshi? Watch video
Read Aikido technical books on Osaewaza